Pick Up Your Pen Contest
Northern Arizona Book Festival
MKC




My Mary

By MKC 


You met me as a scrawny cypress,

uprooted from Pacific coastline,

stranded in volcanic soil, starved

for a breath of ocean spray,

a touch of tidepool life,

a whisper of waves.


Like a saint, you sought to restore

my faith in nature’s cure.

Saltwater tears were cupped

in your freshwater hands. You readied remedies

and layed a banquet before me. 


You saw my lackluster eyes

searching for morsels of rain

and fed me a soup of stars

swimming through liquid ebony.

I drank their glow

and learned their stories

to lull my heart to sleep.


I searched your shores for shells,

but found shards of memory. You watched, and planted a garden,

brushed the grass with Castillejas,

red-orange flares reaching for a cerulean

ceiling. Lavender lupins swayed with foxtails

in the late summer heat. I gathered

them in sketchbook scratches.


I missed the sea’s calls,

howling gusts and collisions

with cliff sides.


You listened

and drew elk at dusk to your edge.

Their symphonic bugles carved

an orchestra pit inside my hollowed

heart. They sang of deeper longing

that swallowed mine whole.


When sorrow reigned my thoughts,

your sunflowers bursted

as rivals to their namesake,

a gold Icarus would soar for. They stood

for hope tangible, joy hardcome. To bask in their light

was to smile from within.

By raising their heads,

I learned to lift my own.


Once, I looked up in time

to see the sunset you sent

for the peaks, dancing rose

and powder blue ribbons across

their tops. The show reflected

on your surface, coloring you

in shades and shadows.


As great blue herrings ghosted

over cresting waves I wondered

at your water lapping up rocky shoreline,

twisting in pirouettes further out.

I reached for your cold grasp

and recalled a twin bite.


I realized you were born

from saltwater tears like mine

carried far from oceanic origins. You forgot not the coast

and created a cornucopia

from evocation, for yourself and all

who wander to you, to make a home

for lost ones like me. 


You found me as a scrawny cypress,

rooted by lakeside glory,

joined to earth thick as mud, satisfied

by a breath of monsoon air,

the touch of wild bouquets,

a whisper from my Mary.

Comments

Popular Posts